For my first Mental Health Minute, I want to talk about how to make a bad day just a little less bad. Whether you’re struggling with something small or big, everyone has those days where the shit (excuse my French) just hits the fan and you feel like there’s nothing you can do but just lay there. But today’s post is going to be all my little tips and tricks to making your day just a tiny bit better, because on most days that’s all you really need. A lot of these are going to seem really obvious, but when I’m in a mood these basic things are often what I forget about the most. I hope you enjoy this post and are excited for more Mental Health Minutes to come!
- Surround yourself with positivity- If there are people in your life who are feeding your negativity, get away from them. Choose to be around and spend time with people who lift you up and make you feel good about yourself. During times like these you have to be a little bit selfish and acknowledge who YOU need to be around at that time.
- Make a countdown calendar- One thing that I’ve done this year is to keep a countdown, I’ve been using the app Event Ticker, to all the exciting things coming up. When I’m having a day, I’ll go into my calendar and remind myself of the fun things I have planned for the future. It’s an easy way to remind myself of all the good things I have going on.
- Treat yourself- Open your computer, go to your favorite store and buy yourself something you’ve been wanting, big or small. Buying something online is such a small thing that always makes me even just a little happier. It doesn’t have to be a big purchase or investment, just something small will always do the trick. But knowing that I have something on the way to my mailbox always makes me excited.
- Reach out to someone you haven’t talked to in a while- If I’m having a bad day or feeling weird, reaching out to someone who I haven’t talked to in a while makes me feel so much better. It’s a way for me to disconnect from the “now” and to remember something positive about the past. Whether it’s just a Snapchat or a longer facetime call, it’s always something that can create positivity in m day.
- Pamper yourself- I’m a huge believer in self-care and me time, and that’s especially true on a bad day. If you’re short on time, even just throwing on a face mask for 15 minutes and chilling for a second can make a huge difference. But if there’s a little more time, go through a full pamper routine. Relax, make yourself feel better and just disconnect from everything for a bit. Taking time to just breathe and not think about anything else can change your mindset tremendously.
- Take a work/school break- I know this may sound impossible, but remember that your mental health should come before anything else. If you have the ability to leave work or school a little early to take some time for yourself, take it. If you don’t, give yourself some space from your work or homework at the end of the day. When you get home, give yourself 30 minutes to do something you like to disconnect yourself from work. Watch an episode of your favorite show, take a bath or hang out with friends. Giving yourself space from the stressful things in your life, even if it’s just a little bit, can refresh your mind.
- Do something nice- I’m a true believe that what goes around comes around. If you’re looking for some good in your life, start with yourself. Reach out to someone in need, send someone an appreciation card, buy a meal for someone on the streets, any small gesture that can help lift someone else’s day is almost guaranteed to make you feel better too. And besides, the world is always in need of some good.
Sending out love and good vibes xx
Today is National Love Your Body Day, and while I try to preach and live by the idea of self-love, I’ve been struggling with this by a battling with an eating disorder. It’s not something a lot of people talk about, and it’s not something a lot of people talk about publicly. But I’m ready to break that mold. The scariest thing about this whole battle has been feeling alone in my fight. But I know I’m not the only one. I’m here telling my story with hopes that it can help others out there feel a little less alone. I’m not posting this looking for pity or attention, I’m posting this because reading other peoples stories was such a big part of the start of my recovery. If this can help even just one person feel a little less alone, then it’s worth it.
No matter what is going on in my life or your life right now, please take the time to appreciate your body for all it does and all it allows you to do. Love yourself and help others love themselves. Happy Love Your Body Day xx
To my ED,
First of all I want to thank you. I want to thank you for being there for me when I felt like I needed you and for telling me the things I wanted to hear. I loved you more than I’ve loved before. You became a part of me, and it was a part I didn’t want to lose. In the darkest days when I felt nothing but the worse things of myself you made me feel beautiful by following your demands. You tempted me, you encouraged me, you seduced me, and it was something I couldn’t ignore. You knew when to step back and when to take control. You were sneaky but terrifyingly appreciated. You captured my heart so enticingly and I became addicted to it. But no matter how hard I tried or begged, I couldn’t get rid of you. I was obsessed with our brutal love story.
Now that I’ve finally broke free from our abusive relationship, I can see what you really did to me. You made me tell endless lies to my family and friends. You made me believe things about myself that weren’t even close to true. You made me believe that food was the enemy and that eating was a punishable sin. You made me feel guilty but then extremely rewarded and satisfied after a purge. You made me damage my body in a way nothing else had ever done before. You tricked me into loving you when I couldn’t love myself. You took the things I loved away from me and taunted me with it. You took over my brain, every hour, every minute, every second of the day. You made me spend hours in the bathroom bent over the toilet with tears coming out of my eyes. You made me feel unworthy of all the things I dreamed of. And finally, you made me the person I never wanted to be. I thought that I was you and you were me, but I now know that I was never you and you were never me. You were simply a voice in my head who I trusted and felt connected to. And I am grateful to not have you in my life anymore.
There are days where I still miss you. There are days when I wish more than anything that we could be back together. Recovering from our relationship has been the hardest thing I’ve had to do, and I don’t think it will ever truly end. Sometimes I wish you could come back to be the voice in my head telling me what to do. You knew me better than I knew myself and always knew what I wanted to hear. In the moment, the harm you inflicted on me paled in comparison to the beauty and confidence you made me feel.
But I find myself wanting to thank you again. Ridding you from my life has given me the chance to appreciate the life and body I’ve been blessed with. I’m thankful for my family and friends who have loved me and supported me no matter what. I’m thankful for a body that allows me to do the things I love. I’m thankful for a life free from the bathroom and out in the beautiful world. I’m thankful for the small things in life that bring me pure joy. I’m thankful for my new look on life, one that’s much clearer and brighter than ever before. I’m thankful that I still have my life, even though you could have taken it from me. I’m thankful that I get to move on and forward, leaving you behind only as a distant memory.
Now that I’ve started distancing myself from you, I promise to live a life full of gratitude and love, remembering that I am worthy of being happy and loved in my own skin. I’m ready to live my life as me, only me, and no one else.
It’s mid-term season! It’s flu season! It’s s t r e s s season! It is getting to the craziest time of the year, the temperature is going down, work and tests are piling up and everyone is getting sick. Today’s post is going to be my college evening pamper routine to give you a little self-love time in the midst of all the chaos. I’ve also thrown in a few things to help boost your immune system to try and avoid all of those nasty sicknesses going around. This can be done by yourself for some me-time, or with your friend(s) for a fun girls night in! **I’ll try and leave as many links below!**
I always start by throwing up a plush robe (or some comfy clothes) and take my makeup off. I’ve been loving the Sephora Charcoal Micellar Water for my makeup. Then I’ll begin to set the mood in my room. I’ll throw on my fairy lights and lanterns and I’ll let my diffuser start running. I’ve been using the Iextreme Essential Oil Diffuser that I got on Amazon for only $10, and it’s amazing. It has 8 different LED colors to choose from, which is actually my favorite thing ever. At night, my favorite oils to diffuse are the Young Living Lavender and Orange essential oils.
After my room is looking and smelling good, I’ll go and take a long hot shower (I MISS MY BATH TUB!). I’ll usually do the full thing, hair mask, shave… on these kind of nights. To wash my hair, I’ve been loving the Herbal Essence Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner, it leaves your hair super soft and smooth and smells incredible. I’ll then go in with the Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask. I got this in my FabFitFun box and have been obsessed with it ever since. While I let that sit for 15 minutes, I use the Eos Ultra Moisture shaving cream in pomegranate-raspberry to shave my legs and get them all nice and smooth. For my face, I’ve been loving the Grown Alchemist Polishing Facial Exfoliant with pink grapefruit. I also got this in my last FabFitFun box and I cannot begin to express how much I love this. The smell immediately transports me to a spa and the fine beads exfoliate your face so gently while still getting all the gunk off. It’s AMAZING!
Once I’m all done in there, I’ll get back into my robe and put my hair up in a hair wrap to get it out of the way. My next step is to do a face mask. If I’m really feeling it, I’ll go to to the extreme and do two masks, one clay and one hydrating. My two favorite clay masks are the Indian Healing Clay and the CVS Dead Sea Mineral Anti-Stress mask. Both of these do a really good job of extracting all the gross gunk from your skin and pores without over-drying your skin (they both do leave your skin red for a few minutes, and that’s just because of the increased blood flow to your face). My favorite hydrating mask right now is either the Smoothing Radiance Mask from Filorga or the sheet masks from Innis Free. While I have my face masks on, I’ll cuddle up in bed and put on something super fun and easy to watch on Netflix. I’ve been loving The Good Place and The Great British Bake Off recently, they’re both so good but also ADDICTIVE.
When I’m doing a full pamper night, I try to make sure I’m not just taking care of my outside, but also taking care of my insides. I love lemon water all the time, but it makes me feel super refreshed and cleansed during a night like this. Lemon is a detoxifying and digestive agent and can help to increase your metabolic rate. I also try to eat super clean, so I’ll do a lot of apples, carrots, or celery with peanut butter or a light salad, and then maybe some dark chocolate or strawberries if I’m craving something sweet. Another healthy snack I’ve been obsessed with is the Coconut Sesame Clusters from Trader Joe’s, they’re so addictive it’s crazy.
After I’m all done with my face masks I’ll start my evening skincare routine. I use the Celavive Perfecting Toner all over my face with a cotton ball to start, then I go in with the Clinque Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion and either the Tarte Maracuja Oil or the Tarte Drink of H2O Hydrating Boost Moisturizer on top of that. My holy grail products for any zits or breakouts it Lavender Oil. I put a tiny bit on right before I go to sleep and the next morning it’s like nothing was there, seriously, it’s that amazing.
Another thing I like to do before going to sleep on a pamper night is to get my stuff ready for the next morning. I just spend a few minutes going through my planner (this year I’m using the Kate Spade Things We Love Planner and it’s my favorite thing ever) and checking off everything I’ve done that day and also getting all my stuff ready for my first class the next day. It puts me at ease knowing that I can just wake up in the morning and everything will be ready to go. The last thing I do before going to bed is to use an app to do a quick meditation. I’ve been juggling between Head Space, Calm, Simple Habit and Insight Timer, but honestly haven’t found my favorite yet, but I do like spending just 5-10 minutes to wind my mind down, and I have found that I tend to sleep so much better on nights when I spend time doing this.
And then it’s lights out and time to SLEEP!
*Girly content and lot’s of TMI ahead!*
After getting such great feedback from my TOTM skincare routine post, I thought I would do another one and this time on what to eat and what to avoid during that crazy time of the month. During your period your hormones go completely out of whack and cause the craziest and most intense of cravings, but it’s also the time when your body needs a nutritious and healthy diet the most. I’ve come up with my own list, partly from research and partly from my own experiences/opinions, of things to eat and things to avoid during your period. I hope you find this helpful and if you have anything else to add to the lists please comment them down below!
EAT MORE OF THIS-
- Leafy greens- As awful as this sounds, leafy greens have TONS of iron which is exactly what you need during your period. Find some fun and different ways to make leafy greens a more interesting part of your diet and your body will thank you.
- Bananas- Bananas contain so much potassium, vitamin B and vitamin C, all of which you need during the TOTM. They’are also supposed to help release serotonin so you cam boost your mood while you’re at it!
- Dark chocolate- Getting a bit of dark chocolate with low sugar content in your body won’t only help curb some cravings, but it also is a great source of anti-oxidants and magnesium. It also contains the “happy hormone” serotonin so honestly why not have some.
- Red meat- Just like the leafy greens, red meat is an easy way to up your iron intake. If you’re a vegetarian, try beans and lentils as an alternative source. But if you are a meat eater, use this as an excuse to have a piece of steak!
- Cookies, chocolate, cake, whatever your heart desires- I’m not going to promote bingeing on junk food while you’re on your period, but also don’t deprive yourself completely. I’ve always preached balanced and that’s especially true during your TOTM. If your really feeling a piece of chocolate cake, GO FOR IT! Just be reasonable with your serving size and everything will be A-okay. The last thing you need is a full on break down session because you just want to indulge a bit (IT HAPPENS).
- Carbonated drinks and sodas- I’m not a soda drinker at all, but I do love my Kombucha’s and La Croixs. However when you’re on your period and already bloated and gassy (isn’t it lovely?!) carbonated drinks will only make that worse. Try sticking to water, teas and other non-sugary drinks.
- Processed foods
- Highly salted foods- Salt can cause unnecessary water retention which is the absolute last thing you want when on your period. Like I said above, your body is already retaining water because of the excess fluid in your uterus. Try and avoid salty foods especially if you’re feeling extra bloated.
- Greasy/oily foods- An excess of oily foods in your system can cause inflammation, which is what you want to avoid at a time when your body is already inflamed. It’s also been known to increase pain which is, again, the last thing you want during the most miserable time of the month.
- Caffeine- This is not something I do (I need my morning coffee), but I’ve done a lot of research around this and caffeine intake has been shown to increase estrogen levels which can lead to worse PMS symptoms.
I hope you enjoyed today’s post! Don’t forget to share your tips down below. See you soon! xx
What’s the number one place you want to visit right now? I get asked that question all the time and it’s so hard because the answer is: EVERYWHERE. I would love to not have to worry about school or working or money and just travel the world experience all the different cultures. But since that’s not reasonable, I thought I would sit and put together the 5 places that are at the top of my travel bucket list right now. What do you think of my list? What’s on your list?
*All photos courtesy of Creative Commons*
1. New York City, USA- NYC, I don’t even know what to say. Everything from the yellow taxis, the bright lights of Times Square and the quaintness of Central Park draws me to the city. I could get lost looking at pictures of New York for hours dreaming of everything I would do when I finally get to go. And it would be even better if it were Christmas. The tree at Rockefeller Center, hot chocolate at Serendipity (just like the movie!!) and New Years Eve in Times Square, ugh it would be so magical!
2. Sydney, Australia- I honestly don’t know how I lived in Singapore for over 18 years and never visited Australia, but it’s very high up on my wishlist. Not sure what it is, but I always just get such a chill/relaxed vibe from Sydney and the people seem so incredible warm and welcoming! And the growing food scene doesn’t hurt either.
3. Sicily, Rome and Amalfi, Italy- Isn’t this pretty much a staple on everyones bucket list? If I could spend a chunk of time exploring every single city in Italy I think I would die. But these three cities are the top three on my list for sure. I’m so intrigued by the contrast of the bustling city of Rome and the pure, calm, breathtaking Amalfi Coast. And then I would just love to move to Sicily and live on a winery and eat all the seafood I want all day.
4. New Orleans, USA- New Orleans is definitely a recent addition to my list, but it’s so intriguing to me. Obviously it would be amazing to go during Mardi Gras, but any time would be incredible. The atmosphere just seems to laid back yet fun and old school funky. I would love to stroll through the French Quarter and spend the afternoon eating beignets at Cafe du Monde.
5. Island Hopping in Greece- Although I’ve been to Athens and the island of Sifnos, I’d love to go back and just spend time on a bunch of different islands. I love everything about Greece, the food, the people, the scenery, the oceans, it’s spectacular. The dream is to spend a month island hopping and spending the evenings sipping on wine and gorging on spanakopita and baklava. Wouldn’t that be amazing!
Happy Tuesday lovelies, hope you’ve had a great weekend and are ready for a fab week ahead! Today’s post is going to be all about new (some new to Tarte, some new to me) Tarte products! As most of you already known I’ve been Tarte-obsessed for years now and I think my obsession has gone to a whole new level over the past 6 months. I’ve tried a lot of new products recently and am so excited to share my favorite ones with you. They have also just come out with their new Tarte in Paradise collection which I am already in love with and can’t wait to try more of. Enjoy and I’ll leave as many links (and photos) as I can below!
**Addition: On the day I’m posting this they just released even more new products so PLEASE go check those out, they are the epitome of adorable!!**
New to me:
Rainforest of the Sea Volume III Eyeshadow Palette– The second this came out I new I had to get it. It was all the shades I love and the packaging was the most adorable thing I’d ever seen. It has 7 glitter shades and one transitional matte shade so you can do a lot of looks with it. It’s all neutral/gold colors so perfect for a casual or everyday look. I love this palette.
Rainforest of the Sea 4-in-1 Setting Mist– I have tried so many different setting sprays and mists and couldn’t find one I loved until I tried this. I seriously wish I tried it sooner. It is so refreshing on your face and has a gorgeous subtle scent that I love. The spray nozzle is really good and sprays a fine mist, which I haven’t found in many other sprays. It helps your makeup last so much longer and also works as a little booster in the middle of the day. It’s my new best friends.
Drink of H2O Hydrating Boost– This is another product that I wish I had in my routine a lot earlier. It smells amazing and has a lovely gel-like cooling texture. It’s also one of the most hydrating products I’ve ever used, and a tiny bit goes a long way. I use this every night before I go to bed and it has made my skin SO much healthier looking.
Color Splash Lipstick in Island Life– I was so excited to try this lipstick out and it surpassed my high expectations. The packaging was what caught my eye at first, but the formula is so amazing and hydrating on my lips (I hate lip products that are super drying). And this shade is so beautiful I’ve been wearing it everyday.
Park Ave Princess Amazonian Clay Waterproof Bronzer– I was so jealous watching all the YouTubers try out the Park Ave Princess collection, and I finally got this bronzer a few weeks ago! It is seriously incredible. My favorite bronzer for the last 2 years has been the one in the Pro Glow palette and I have to say I love this one just as much. It has a sparkle in it that doesn’t make it to blinding but adds a nice glow to your skin. It’s one stunner of a bronzer!
Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Fanciful– I love the Amazonian Clay Blushes (I have it in about four other shades), but this one is by far my favorite. The packaging makes it look a little darker than it it, but it works so well on tan/dark skin. It leaves a nice little rosy color on your skin but doesn’t overpower. And it goes on so smoothly and is easy to blend out.
Maracuja Oil– Okay, I don’t even know where to start with this one. I’ve heard the most incredible things about this products but have always been so nervous to try it because I have oily skin. But let me tell you, this is a saving grace for your face. I know I’ve talked about this in a lot of previous posts so I’ll try not to ramble on, but if you try one thing from this post please please please try this! You will fall in love, it’s worth every penny.
Better Bod Bronze and Contour– I got a little bronzer set from Tarte not knowing what I was going to think, but I love this product! It goes on so easy and leaves you with a little sun-kissed glow even if you’ve been copped up inside for weeks studying. Game changer!
New to Tarte:
Tarte Fragrance in Sweet Tarte– This fragrance is so sophisticated but sweet and flirty at the same time, I’m loving it. I use it everyday on my wrists before I go to class and find myself just casually smelling it throughout the day.
Glide and Go Buttery Lipstick in Pink Palm– Not only is the packaging on this the cutest (gold with palm trees), the color is stunning and the formula is just as the name says, buttery af!
Maneater Mascara– I tried this for the first time a few days ago and I was sitting across the room from one of my friends and she goes “OMG Aime I don’t even have my glasses on and I can see your eyelashes all the way from here”. I think that pretty much sums up how I feel about this mascara, OBSESSED.
Glam on the Go Eyeshadow Palette– This palette is by far the cutest packaging I’ve seen from Tarte. It has a cute holographic picture of flamingos on the front and I am living for it. I’m not sure if they’ve used a new formula for these shadows or not, but they are incredible. The pigment is so strong and the glitter sticks to your lids perfectly without ANY fallout. The Leave Your Mark palette has been my go-to for my everyday look, but I think this palette has overtaken it.
I know I just posted a summer-themed blog post, but I felt the need to do just one more before we’re fully into fall. So today is going to be all of my summer favorites (of literally everything) combined into one post. This is going to be the last summer post of 2018 (*cries*), so soak it all up and enjoy every last minute of this season! *I’ll also try to link everything down below or a similar item*
Almost Famous with Ben Higgins and Ashley Iaconetti (for all my other bachelor franchise fans out there)
Crazy Rich Asians
BBQs at home (with lot’s of meat!!)
Tropical cocktails, that’s all I’m gonna say
Kate Sommerville ExfoliKate (and also FabFitFun because it’s amazing)
Kate Spade cross-body bag in a bright purple
As we are quickly approaching the last couple weeks of (official) summer, I just wanted to put together a quick little blog post of my highlights from the summer. I’ve been back at school for a week and a half now an reminiscing about all the fun times and wishing I was still sitting by the beach and soaking in the sun. I hope you all enjoy this post and please comment some of your favorite summer moments down below!
1. Internship in Singapore- I was extremely lucky to be able to go back to my high school in Singapore for the last 5 weeks of their school year and intern with one of the programs I fell in love with. I was able to work directly with teachers and was even given the ability to run a few of my own classes and activities. Being a teacher is something that means a lot to me and this opportunity only made me realize my dream even more. It was amazing to be able to work directly with students and to learn so much from the teachers who were gracious enough to mentor me. I started my internship the day after school ended, and although it was difficult at times it was also an incredible experience.
2. Food adventures back home- While I was working, I also had so much time to relax in Singapore and spend time with my family. And of course, a lot of our time was spent eating at our favorite places (and some new places) around the island. I only put 5 photos in this post because if I put all the photos in you would be here forever. As you can see (here and on my Instagram: @swimeatlove) I had a lot of Asian food simply because I was craving it SO MUCH after being back in LA for a semester. I honestly can’t pick a favorite or highlight meal because everything I had was so good. But I loved that I was able to enjoy a fine dining meal (at Level 33) as well as a simple food court meal of chicken rice.
3. Beach getaway in Phuket- I wrote a whole big post on my trip to Phuket, so I’m going to keep this one short and sweet (but go check out the other post if you want to see more!). Most people already know this about me, but I’m obsessed with the beach, so getting to spend a few days in one of my favorite places with my family was definitely a highlight for this summer. We were all able to just chill and lounge around by the beach or pool sipping on mojitos and pina coladas- it was perfect! We stayed at our favorite resort (Le Meridien, Phuket) and loved the food, the spa and of course the private beach and sprawling pool. We got to go out to the town each evening and explored the area and ate at some of our favorite places around Phuket. It was the perfect summer getaway.
4. Lake days- After all of the fun times in Singapore, and a chaotic international move, we finally got back to some stability by spending over a month at our family lake house, which we do every summer. Nestled in between the mountains, the serene lake is by far one of my favorite places to be. There are so little distractions (we just got a flushing toilet last year and wifi this year!) and it’s just so peaceful. I spend the days lifeguarding and hanging by the lake, and then we spend the afternoons looking for the best and freshest summer produce which we then use to make fun, summery meals. We have game nights, do BBQs and have fun with fireworks and sparklers and it’s seriously the best thing ever. I look forward to being back at the lake the day after I leave. It’s the absolute epitome of summer.
5. Adventuring Tokyo- After leaving the lake for the summer, I was able to spend a full week back in Tokyo (which also happens to be our new home). While we spend time in Tokyo every summer, this year it was all about finding the comfort and familiarities of the city that would help to make it feel like home. We did some of the things we love to do (shopping in Shibuya, eating at our favorite restaurants), but we also did some things we’d never done before. Of course we discovered some new restaurants that will definitely be added to our go-to list, but we also did some fun new things like going to the summer festival (matsuri) in Azabu Juuban and exploring the neighborhood around our new house. I loved being able to spend my last week of summer with the people I love doing what I love (basically eating and traveling, haha!).
I hope you all had as good a summer as I had. It was by far the best one yet. Enjoy the last little bit of the warm weather and I hope ya’ll are getting excited for fall!