As the holiday season is coming to a close, I know that everybody is trying to start eating a little healthier, especially after the abundant amount of food that was devoured during Christmas. This morning, I was trying to figure out what to cook, when I came across a bunch of pasta recipes looking through cookbooks. I tried to think of a pasta recipe that also had delicious cooked as well as fresh veggies, so here’s what I came up with!
6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red pepper, diced
1 onion, sliced
1 bunch of Shimeji mushrooms
5 slices of Salami cut into 3 pieces
5 sausages, taken out of the case and smashed
1 bunch of Italian Flat-leaf Parsley
Dried Oregano, to taste
Dried Thyme, to taste
Dried chili flakes
½ cup Chicken stock
2 large handfuls of fresh rocket leaves
¾ box of penne or short pasta
Parmesan, to top
- Heat a large pan or wok over a medium fire with lots of olive oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Turn the heat down a little, and then add the onions, peppers and shimeji mushrooms. Cook until starting to get soft.
- Cook the mashed sausages in a separate pan until brown. Add the cooked sausages and salami to the pan of veggies.
- Season with desired amount of parsley, oregano, thyme, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Make sure to keep enough oil in the pan.
- Once everything is cooked, add the chicken stock and cook on high heat until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Cook the pasta and then add the pasta with a little bit of the water to the rest of the sauce.
- To finish, grate desired amount of Parmesan on top and drizzle olive oil.