I originally found a vegan recipe for cauliflower chowder with quinoa and potatoes, but wanted to try a healthier, lighter version. I made this last night for dinner (with roast chicken), and my family loved it! It’s one of the easiest soups to make, but it’s delicious and perfect for a fall night (not that we have that in Singapore!). So here’s the recipe:
1/2 cup bacon bits
1 head cauliflower
1 bulb garlic
3 cups chicken stock
1 dollop of light cream
1/2 of milk
Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry off the chopped onion and bacon bits in separate pans.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and roast the cauliflower and garlic with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper in the oven at 200 celcius for 30 minutes.
- Stick blend the sautéed onions, roasted cauliflower and garlic until a smooth puree.
- Add the blended mix to a big pot and cook lightly on medium heat.
- Add the chicken stock, cream, and milk and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the bacon bits, chilli powder, salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, drizzled with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and a dash of pepper.