One of this year’s hottest food trends is the Buddha Bowl. It’s basically like an Acai Bowl, but for dinner. The idea is to pack a bowl full of complex carbs, healthy fats, proteins, and tons of veggies. Last night I made this Asian inspired Buddha Bowl, and I have to say it was quite a hit!
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
1 1/2 cups brown rice, cooked
4 chicken breasts
1 green pepper, cut into chunks
1 red pepper, cut into chunks
1 onion, cut into chunks
1 cup green beans, cut into thirds
8 cloves of garlic, halved
salt and pepper, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
herbs, to taste
spring onion, to garnish
sesame seeds, to garnish
For the sauce:
1 tbsp. miso paste
1 tbsp. peanut butter
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. dashi
1 tbsp. water
- Heat the oven to 200 celsius and boil water to cook your brown rice.
- With a mortar and pestle, grind the miso paste, spring onions, sesame oil, garlic, soy sauce and ginger to make a paste. Spread on top of chicken breasts and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Cut up all of your veggies and put in on a lined baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and herbs. Cook in oven for 20-25 minutes
- For the sauce, put the peanut butter and miso paste in a heat-proof bowl and microwave for 40 seconds. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, dashi and water and mix thoroughly.
- Grill the chicken over medium heat until cooked, then cut into chunks.
- Now it’s time to prepare your bowl. Start by putting the rice on the bottom. Then top one half with the grilled chicken and the other half with the veggies. Use the spring onion, sesame seeds and halved garlic as garnish. Drizzle with the sauce and it’s ready to serve.
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! Don’t forget to comment a picture of your own Buddha Bowl:)