One of the things I’m asked a lot is how I snack. People tend to think of snacking as a bad thing; chips, chocolate bars and cookies. However, I think snacking is the key to eating clean. If you cut back your main meal portions, you can fill up with healthy snacks between instead. This keeps you from overeating and from limiting spikes in your sugar level. Snacks don’t have to be unhealthy, in fact there are so many ways that you can make snacking healthy and fun! Here are some of my favorite healthy snacks:
- Cuckoo for Coconuts Trail Mix (Trader Joe’s): This trail mix is my current favorite snack. It comes in small snack sized bags, so it’s already portioned for you. It has toasted almonds, coconut praline cashews, coconut dark chocolate cups and toasted coconut. It really satisfies a sweet tooth and is super filling for such a small amount. (https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Cuckoo-Coconut-Individual/dp/B01N1UFCKN)
- Mamma Chia: These chia squeeze drinks come in all sorts of flavors and are super easy to grab on the go. They will fill you up and can even go in place of breakfast (especially if you’re in a rush). (https://www.amazon.com/Mamma-Chia-Squeeze-Vitality-Blackberry/dp/B00DOO7AY8/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1493189084&sr=1-3&keywords=mamma%2Bchia&th=1)
- Fresh popcorn: For some reason it took me 17 years to realize that instead of buying super salty popcorn from a box, I can buy a bag of kernels (which is cheaper btw) and pop them myself. My favorite flavorings are coconut oil and a little bit of honey, or chili powder, garlic powder and a little bit of salt. (https://www.amazon.com/Jolly-Time-Yellow-Popcorn-Kernels/dp/B0077USTMM/ref=sr_1_14_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1493189159&sr=1-14&keywords=popcorn+kernels)
- Peanut butter on… EVERYTHING: Peanut butter is one of those foods that seem to go with literally anything. Carrot sticks, crackers, apple slices, rice crackers, everything! Peanut butter is super filling and also filled with tons of protein, so I usually just have 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with one of the things listed above and I’m set for a good 2 hours. (https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Unsalted-Unblanched-Peanuts/dp/B00I4FAPPS/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1493189192&sr=1-1&keywords=trader+joe%27s+peanut+butter)
- Leftovers: Believe it or not, sometimes leftovers make the best snacks. We usually always have some leftover pasta, chicken, rice or beef, so I just go to the fridge to portion out a little to eat as a snack. You don’t need a big amount, you just need a little to go a long way.
What are your healthy snacks? Comment them down below to share:)