This year, I was struggling to come up with a fun dessert to make for my mom on Mother’s Day. I had already done a flip-flop cake as well as a flower bouquet of cupcakes, and my creative juices weren’t able to come up with something new. After watching a video on The Scran Line (http://www.thescranline.com/baileys-truffle-cupcakes) I was inspired to create a fun flavored cupcake instead of making something that was visually different. I settled on vanilla angel food cupcakes with pink Prosecco buttercream frosting, topped with a Kahlua truffle. I thought it was different, fun, and super delicious…oh and my mom loved it too!
Angel Food Cupcakes:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup white flour
6 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
Prosecco Buttercream Frosting:
1/2 cup softened, unsalted butter
1 cup powdered/icing sugar
4 tbsp. Prosecco
4 drops red food coloring
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tbsp. Nutella
4 tbsp. Kahlua
Dark Chocolate shavings
- Start by making the truffles. Put all the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 40 seconds. Take it out and let it cool for 1 minute, then roll into balls and leave to set in refrigerator.
- For the cupcakes, start by sifting half the sugar and flour into a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites, vanilla, salt, cream of tartar and remaining sugar until medium to stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the flour and sugar mixture into the egg whites one spoon full at a time.
- Scoop into a lined cupcake tray and bake at 350f for 17 minutes. Once done, set aside to completely cool.
- For the frosting, whip the butter on high speed for 90 seconds or until light and fluffy. Slowly add in powdered sugar and Prosecco and continue to whip on medium speed.
- To assemble, pipe the frosting on to cooled cupcakes and place one truffle on top. Finish with dark chocolate shavings.
I hope you enjoy this, and happy mother’s day to all you amazing mothers out there!