One of the best things about 2017, for me, was that it was a year of discovery in many ways. I learned so much about myself, the people around me, the places I love and the world in general. With so many huge milestones happening this year, it would be hard not to stumble upon new discoveries. Usually at the beginning of every year I write my new years resolutions, typically revolving around school and swimming. This year when trying to write them, I found it particularly hard to think of anything. I starting reflecting on the past year and everything that had happened and I had learned. Instead of writing resolutions for the year, I decided to write myself vows, vows that I know have been created out of the experiences I’ve had over the past couple of years. My vows for the year represent who I am as a person and all the things I hold near and dear to my heart.
With lots of new and exciting content coming to the blog this year, I thought a perfect way to start is to share some of my vows for the year with you all. What are some of your resolutions/vows/goals for the year? Let’s share them in the comments below!
1. I vow to put my family above everything else. After leaving home for college this year, I realized that there is absolutely nothing that is more important to me than the close bond I have with my family.
2. I vow to love myself and my body no matter what and to appreciate all the things my body allows me to do . After dealing with many years of body image struggles, I feel like 2017 was the first full year where I never looked in the mirror and thought I was fat or felt the need to suck my stomach in while wearing a bikini. It also happened to be the happiest I’ve ever been in my life.
3. I vow to allow myself to try new things, even if it seems scary. If there was a theme to this year, it would be trying new things. I’m going to be completely honest, most of the new things I tried were terrifying at first (ie. leaving home for the first time), but they also ended up being some of the best parts of the year.
4. I vow to become an adventurer of the world as best as I can. One of my biggest passions is traveling, and I was lucky enough to travel to two new countries (New Zealand and Korea) last year that I absolutely fell in love with. I hope that I can add another new country to the list this year. But beyond traveling to new countries, I vow to allow myself to explore the areas around me, whether it’s in Singapore, LA, or Tokyo, and to appreciate all the natural beauty of the world.
5. I vow to treat my body and mind as a temple, but in a balanced and healthy way. Of course I love working out, staying fit and eating healthy, but I also love skipping a day at the gym or pool to go explore a new city with my family and to eat food I love (even if it’s not the healthiest). I felt like 2017 was the most balanced year I have had. I focused on my health and fitness every single day, but also allowed myself to take a break if I felt like I needed it.
6. I vow to open myself up to new hobbies and passions. I had an amazing moment earlier this year where I discovered what I felt my life purpose was. That moment only came from allowing myself to try and find new things I was passionate about. I vow to allow myself room to try new things that I have an interest in, knowing full well that I may fail.
7. My last vow is to allow myself to be 100% real, authentic and honest on my blog and Instagram. This is something that I learned to do over the past 6 months, and it has been amazing. It’s not easy to be out on social media sharing personal information about your life and struggles, but I think it’s important for all of us to show our true selves every day on every platform. My whole goal through my blog and Instagram is to inspire others to be healthier, happier and laugh a little more. I have been amazed at the responses and messages I get to my posts, it’s what keeps me going every single day and I vow to keep that up as best as I can through this year.
I just wanted to end this by saying how extremely grateful I am to all of you for reading my posts and following along on my life adventures. This blog and Instagram have quickly become one of my biggest passions and I am so thankful for that!