It’s finally that time of the year where we’re all whipping out our bikinis/suits and headed to spend time at the beach, the lake or even just by the pool, soaking in every ounce of sunlight in hopes to get that perfectly sun-kissed skin. Today’s post is going to be all of my summer beauty tips and go-to’s to get you looking fresh, relaxed and glowing. Under each section I have linked some of the products I have been loving this summer. Happy summer!
The Perfect Tan:
- Prep the canvas- If there’s one thing I love more than anything, it’s having beautifully tanned and glowing skin. It’s taken me a while to figure out how to keep my skin healthy and hydrated while still deepening the color, but I finally figured out what works for me. Before I begin spending time out in the sun I always exfoliate. Using either a scrub or a loofah works, as long as you are getting rid of the dead skin cells. If you go out in the sun with lot’s of dead skin cells, you will likely peel easily. But having freshly polished skin is the perfect canvas for a beautiful tan.
- Protect, protect, protect!- One thing that took me a long time to learn was that sunscreen actually helps to preserve a tan. I know a lot of you already know that, but I always thought that sunscreen avoided a tan, but it actually just avoids getting burnt and helps create a more even tan. If you’re spending a long time out in the sun, be sure to reapply every 60-90 minutes, and maybe even more frequently if you’re in the water. And don’t forget how dangerous direct UV rays can be; protect yourself while looking gorgeous!
- Hydrate inside and out- After a day (or even a couple of hours) in the sun, your skin will be dying for moisture. Use a cooling aloe vera gel or a deep moisturizer all over your body and let your skin drink it up. I’ve been using the Celavive skincare line for my face while I have been obsessed with (link to purchase is down below!). Along with hydrating the outside, don’t forget the power of hydration from the inside. Load up on water and you’ll be feeling hydrated all around.
- Elevate your tan- If you’re looking to get that extra glow, maybe for a night out or brunch with the girls, use a temporary tanning/glow spray. I like to just add a little bit to my arms and legs to elevate my tan and help my skin look extra glowy.
Hair & Make-Up:
- Natural with neutrals- During the summer I always keep my make-up super minimal. I tend to gear towards the browns and golds and look for face products that leave me with a dewy look. Some of the products I’ve been using are the Tarte Leave Your Mark palette which has beauty neutrals in a mix of mattes and shimmers, the Fenty Beauty Match Stix in Yacht Lyfe, and the Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes. I typically don’t use anything on my skin, but if I do I’ll reach for a light CC cream or a tinted moisturizer over a high coverage foundation.
- Spritz it up- For my hair, I like to have that messy and care-free (but still cute) look. I do a lot of half-up buns, messy buns and beach waves to keep my hair bouncy and voluminous, but out of my face. The Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe texturizing hair cream and sea salt spray have been my absolute go-to’s over the past few summers. Just spraying a little bit or combing some through damp hair allows your hair to dry with that satisfying feeling of salt water in your hair without drying it out. Put that together with a stunning tan and your look will call beach bum all the way.
- Treat yourself- Another thing I love about the summer (other than the sun, the beach, the food and almost everything else) is the care-free attitude that comes along with it. With longer days and less to do, I love spending some time to have a little pamper sesh. Whether it’s getting a cute mani-pedi (pastels are great for summer!), taking a bath with a Lush bath bomb (I love Sex Bomb during the summer), or as simple as putting on a face mask, it’s so important for you to take some time to take care of yourself (and your skin will thank you too!).
- Take it up a notch- If you can afford the resources, step it up a notch and treat yourself to a summer-friendly spa treatment. Look for a body mask/treatment that is meant to hydrate your skin. Last week when I was in Phuket, I got an Aloe Vera Body Treatment which was meant to re-hydrate skin after being out in the sun and to help retain your summer glow. It worked wonders for me and helped me look radiant for days after (and I didn’t peel!). A summers day at the spa will leave you feeling extra relaxed and oh-so pampered.
Style & Fashion:
- Bikini season- I LOVE a cute bikini combo, and I’ve found over the years that the way to find the perfect pair is to mix and match. Mixing solids or mixing solids and prints is an easy way to step up your bikini game so you’re looking cute and fresh at the beach. As well as mixing prints, I like to look at different stores and brands for a bikini pair. I often times find the cutest matched when mixing brands. Don’t be afraid to try something different and bold, a little bit of sunshine and the beach in the back can make anything look adorable.
- Cover-ups- My wardrobe in the summer typically consists of a few shorts, a couple tank-tops and a TON of cover-ups. They’re super easy to slip on over a bikini before a day at the beach or pool, but they can also be dressed up for a casual summer outfit. I love playing with bright colors since you can typically get away with that during the summer, and also playing with different styles. Whether it’s a low back, a deep V or cut sides, I think cover-ups are the best way to get away with anything.
- Dress it up- Going out for a night or want to wear something a little nicer? One of my favorite things to do it to grab one of my Dad’s aloha/printed button-up shirts and tie it at the bottom to make it a crop. I’ll pair it with some white jean shorts and it makes for a super cute summer outfit. It’s a little more dressed up but still screaming summer all the way.