Here I am, once again, getting ready for another trip. This one is a little different since my family is leaving Singapore after over two decades to start a new adventure in Tokyo. As I’ve been preparing for this trip, I’ve been trying to think of what I want to have with me to make the trip as comfortable as possible. Usually I love flying, but this time I’m prepared to be overwhelmed with emotion as we are saying goodbye to the only home my sister and I have ever known. With that, I decided to put together a little “must-haves” for the flight. These are some of the things that make me feel safe and luxurious on a flight. I’ve done a lot of other travel posts before, so be sure to check those out by typing “travel” in the search bar. Hope you enjoy this post and comment some of your favorite in-flight essentials down below!
1. Phone Charger- Starting off pretty basic, but I always carry around a phone charger with me. Whether I plug it in while waiting to board my flight or charge my phone while actually on the plane, having a fully charged phone always makes me feel more comfortable knowing that I can reach somebody at any time. And plus, with all that free time there is lots of game playing, social media scrolling and other things that are eating up all your battery.
2. Water- I always have a water bottle with me on the plane whether it’s a plastic one or one that I’ve brought with me. When you fly, you get extremely dehydrated so it’s very important to drink more water than normal. Don’t be afraid to ask the airline staff to fill it up for you or to bring you some water. I always say I’d rather have to go to the bathroom multiple times during a flight than get off the plane with a massive headache.
3. Face Masks- Along with your body getting dehydrated on flights, so does your skin. The cabin re-circulates oxygen through the air making your skin breakout prone. One way to avoid walking off the plane with a new friend on your face is to use the time on the flight to do a face mask. I know it may sound crazy to be sitting there with stuff all over your face, but your skin will thank you at the end of the long journey.
4. Lavender Oil- This is actually something I always carry with me, but especially so on the plane. My mom got into essential oils a while back and I’ve finally caught on as well. I’ve been constantly amazed at the power of Lavender. It does everything from prevent bruising to stopping a bad bleed or even clearing up a zit. I also like to add a drop or too to my moisturizer if I need a little extra hydration. This is one thing I always find myself reaching for when I’m on a flight and I’m always glad that I have it.
5. iPad & Netflix- I think that downloads on Netflix is arguably one of the best things to ever happen. I have always carried around my iPad while I’m traveling so that I could watch a movie I’d purchased or read a book, but now I always download as many TV shows and movies as I can before getting on a flight. I love watching documentaries comedies on flights because they’re light, funny and entertaining, as opposed to watching a thriller or a horror (I could never do that). Some of my favorites for a plane ride are Mean Girls, Bridesmaids, CrossFit Games documentaries Full (and Fuller) House, Friends, and Queer Eye.
5. Wet Wipes- This is something I’ve more recently started doing, but I always have wet wipes when I travel so that I can wipe down my seat, the TV screen, the remote, the tray table and the arm rests. I can’t believe I haven’t always done this, but if you really stop and think about all the people who’ve touched those things and the germs that are on there, it’s pretty gross. So I always make sure to wipe things down the second I get to my seat. And with me being a bit of a klutz, I always find myself in need of a wet wipe.
6. Neck Pillow & Eye Mask- My parents got me a neck pillow and eye mask set from Victoria’s Secret about 5 years ago and I’ve had it with me on almost every flight since. I always find that using a neck pillow is a lot more comfortable than leaning your head all the way back on the seat or leaning it to the side. You don’t want to wake up after sleeping on a flight without being able to move your neck. As for the eye mask, it’s the best thing ever. You don’t have control over the lighting on the plane, so it does wonders when you want to take a quick nap while all the lights are still on.
7. Toothbrush and Mouthwash- I always always always have to have a toothbrush and mouthwash (and tons of gum) with me on flights, especially if it’s a longer flight or one with a layover. First of all, I’m super big on oral hygiene, and I always feel like having that minty flavor in your mouth just helps me feel a lot more fresh and put together overall. And if you’re on an overnight flight you still need to stick to your routine and brush your teeth and do all that jazz before dozing off.
8. Makeup Basics- I’m not one to wear a full face of makeup on a flight (or any at all), but I do love having a little bit of the basics to smack on right before I get off the flight. It helps me feel alive and human after being a zombie on a flight. And if I have friends or family picking me up at the airport, I feel like having a little bit of makeup on makes me look more presentable and like I made an effort for them. The basics I like to keep with me are eyebrow products, concealer, mascara and a tinted lip balm.
9. Dry Shampoo- One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to beauty is oily hair, I absolutely cannot stand it. And for some reason every time I get on a flight, whether it’s short or long, I always walk off with oily roots. So to combat that I always carry around a mini sized Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak dry shampoo just to spritz in my hair right before getting off the plane. I love it and the smell is also amazing.
10. Snacks!!- If there’s one thing I will always have with me no matter what, it’s a ton of snacks. After getting sick from airplane food five years ago, I’ve had a really bad aversion to it and almost never eat it. So I have to make sure I’m stocked with snacks of all kinds to keep me going. I love having healthy snacks with me like pretzels and hummus, dried fruit, protein bars, and trail mix, but I also let myself splurge a little bit when I’m on the flight with a bag of chips or some chocolate or candy, just to feel like I’m treating myself a little bit.
I hope you all enjoyed this post and found it helpful. Happy traveling!!