For my first Mental Health Minute, I want to talk about how to make a bad day just a little less bad. Whether you’re struggling with something small or big, everyone has those days where the shit (excuse my French) just hits the fan and you feel like there’s nothing you can do but just lay there. But today’s post is going to be all my little tips and tricks to making your day just a tiny bit better, because on most days that’s all you really need. A lot of these are going to seem really obvious, but when I’m in a mood these basic things are often what I forget about the most. I hope you enjoy this post and are excited for more Mental Health Minutes to come!
- Surround yourself with positivity- If there are people in your life who are feeding your negativity, get away from them. Choose to be around and spend time with people who lift you up and make you feel good about yourself. During times like these you have to be a little bit selfish and acknowledge who YOU need to be around at that time.
- Make a countdown calendar- One thing that I’ve done this year is to keep a countdown, I’ve been using the app Event Ticker, to all the exciting things coming up. When I’m having a day, I’ll go into my calendar and remind myself of the fun things I have planned for the future. It’s an easy way to remind myself of all the good things I have going on.
- Treat yourself- Open your computer, go to your favorite store and buy yourself something you’ve been wanting, big or small. Buying something online is such a small thing that always makes me even just a little happier. It doesn’t have to be a big purchase or investment, just something small will always do the trick. But knowing that I have something on the way to my mailbox always makes me excited.
- Reach out to someone you haven’t talked to in a while- If I’m having a bad day or feeling weird, reaching out to someone who I haven’t talked to in a while makes me feel so much better. It’s a way for me to disconnect from the “now” and to remember something positive about the past. Whether it’s just a Snapchat or a longer facetime call, it’s always something that can create positivity in m day.
- Pamper yourself- I’m a huge believer in self-care and me time, and that’s especially true on a bad day. If you’re short on time, even just throwing on a face mask for 15 minutes and chilling for a second can make a huge difference. But if there’s a little more time, go through a full pamper routine. Relax, make yourself feel better and just disconnect from everything for a bit. Taking time to just breathe and not think about anything else can change your mindset tremendously.
- Take a work/school break- I know this may sound impossible, but remember that your mental health should come before anything else. If you have the ability to leave work or school a little early to take some time for yourself, take it. If you don’t, give yourself some space from your work or homework at the end of the day. When you get home, give yourself 30 minutes to do something you like to disconnect yourself from work. Watch an episode of your favorite show, take a bath or hang out with friends. Giving yourself space from the stressful things in your life, even if it’s just a little bit, can refresh your mind.
- Do something nice- I’m a true believe that what goes around comes around. If you’re looking for some good in your life, start with yourself. Reach out to someone in need, send someone an appreciation card, buy a meal for someone on the streets, any small gesture that can help lift someone else’s day is almost guaranteed to make you feel better too. And besides, the world is always in need of some good.
Sending out love and good vibes xx