Day 9 is going to be super super SWEET! We’re back with 12 Days and today is three of my absolute favorite festive treats. During the holidays, I love spending evenings in the kitchen whipping up something sweet and festive either to give away as a gift, to serve at a holiday party or dinner or simply just to have on hand for those after dinner sweets. Today I’m sharing three new recipes that I’ve found and modified that have quickly become some of the most delicious things I’ve made during the holidays. So read on, enjoy and hope you have the sweetest of days (okay, I’ll stop with the puns now).
Santa’s Trash Cookies
♣ 1/2 cup white sugar
♣ 1/2 cup brown sugar
♣ 3/4 cup baking margarine (or butter)
♣ 1 egg
♣ 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla or almond extract
♣ 2 cups all-purpose flour
♣ 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
♣ 3/4 cup crushed potato chips
♣ 1/2 cup crushed Pocky
♣ 1/2 cup chopped colorful chocolates (like M&Ms)
♣ 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1. Preheat oven to 360º and line your baking sheets. Cream the sugar and margarine together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla/almond and continue to beat on medium for 1 minute.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and continue to mix until smooth and fully incorporated.
3. Add the potato chips, Pocky, chocolate pieces and butterscotch chips and fold into the dough.
4. Roll into small balls (will expand) and place on a lined baking sheet.
5. Bake for 8-9 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes before eating.
Christmas Cookie Martini
Inspired by: Delish
Ingredients: For 2 servings
♣ 1/2 cup Baileys
♣ 1/4 cup Amaretto or other almond liquor
♣ 1/4 Vodka
♣ 1/3 cup milk
♣ Splash of whipping cream
1. Run two martini glasses under water and stick in freezer to frost.
2. Fill a cocktail shaker with a glass-full of ice. Add all the ingredients and shake vigorously for 2 minutes (cream should make it a bit frothy).
3. Pour into frosted glasses and garnish with a spiced holiday cookie (recipe below). Serve immediately to make some people very happy.
Spiced Holiday Cookies
♣ 3/4 cup baking margarine (or butter); softened
♣ 3/4 cup brown/dark sugar
♣ 3/4 cup molasses or dark agave
♣ 1 egg
♣ 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
♣ 3 cups all-purpose flour
♣ 1 teaspoon baking soda or baking powder
♣ 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
♣ 1 teaspoons ground nutmeg
♣ 1 teaspoons all-spice
♣ 1/2 teaspoons clove
1. Preheat oven to 360º and line your baking sheets. Cream the sugar and margarine together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and molasses and continue to beat on medium for 1 minute.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, all-spice and clove into the bowl and continue to mix until smooth and fully incorporated.
4. Form into large flattened circle and wrap in cling film. Leave to chill for up to 3 hours (between 2-3 hours will work).
5. Once firm, roll out until 1/4 inch in thickness. Use festive cookie cutters to cut into shapes and place on a lined baking tray.
6. Bake for 9 minutes and leave to cool on cooling rack before serving.