As we enter into the new year, I’m ready to continue my mission to use my platform to be an advocate for others who out there who are also battling. I vow to be open when it’s necessary, but also stay private when I need to. My hope, today and always, is to open myself up so that others know that they are not alone, and to help me understand that I am not alone.
With that, for my first MHM of 2019, I wanted to share some quotes about mental health, recovery and genuine self love that constantly cycle through my mind and have come in extremely useful in times of need. I hope these quotes can remind you of the beauty that lies within your soul. You are not defined by a mental illness, you are not defined by your weaknesses; so don’t let them define you. You are who you choose to be, today and everyday.
1. “You wake up every morning to fight the demons that left you so tired the night before, and that, my love, is bravery.”
2. “I’m proud of the woman I am because I went through one hell of a time becoming her.”
3. “From the outside looking in, it’s hard to understand. From the inside looking out, it’s hard to explain.”
4. “Mental Health is not a destination, but a process. It’s about how you drive, not where you’re going.”
5. “Keep going and don’t worry about your speed. You’re making progress, even if it doesn’t seem like it. Forward is forward, no matter how slow.”
6. “You are not a victim. Just a fighter with scars that few can understand.”
7. “The strongest people are not those who show strength in front of the world, but those who fight and win battles that other do not know anything about.”
8. “It’s okay to be a glow stick. Sometimes we have to break before we shine.”
9. “The most beautiful people are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths.”
10. “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
11. “Close your eyes and imagine the best version of you possible. That’s who you really are, let go of any part of you that doesn’t believe it.”
12. “Healing isn’t about changing where you are; it’s about changing your relationship to who you are. A fundamental part of that is honoring how you feel.”
13. “Accept everything about yourself- I mean everything. You are you and that is the beginning and the end- no apologies, no regrets.”
14. “Sometimes I forget putting myself isn’t selfish but necessary.”