*Girly content and lot’s of TMI ahead!*
After getting such great feedback from my TOTM skincare routine post, I thought I would do another one and this time on what to eat and what to avoid during that crazy time of the month. During your period your hormones go completely out of whack and cause the craziest and most intense of cravings, but it’s also the time when your body needs a nutritious and healthy diet the most. I’ve come up with my own list, partly from research and partly from my own experiences/opinions, of things to eat and things to avoid during your period. I hope you find this helpful and if you have anything else to add to the lists please comment them down below!
EAT MORE OF THIS-
- Leafy greens- As awful as this sounds, leafy greens have TONS of iron which is exactly what you need during your period. Find some fun and different ways to make leafy greens a more interesting part of your diet and your body will thank you.
- Bananas- Bananas contain so much potassium, vitamin B and vitamin C, all of which you need during the TOTM. They’are also supposed to help release serotonin so you cam boost your mood while you’re at it!
- Dark chocolate- Getting a bit of dark chocolate with low sugar content in your body won’t only help curb some cravings, but it also is a great source of anti-oxidants and magnesium. It also contains the “happy hormone” serotonin so honestly why not have some.
- Red meat- Just like the leafy greens, red meat is an easy way to up your iron intake. If you’re a vegetarian, try beans and lentils as an alternative source. But if you are a meat eater, use this as an excuse to have a piece of steak!
- Cookies, chocolate, cake, whatever your heart desires- I’m not going to promote bingeing on junk food while you’re on your period, but also don’t deprive yourself completely. I’ve always preached balanced and that’s especially true during your TOTM. If your really feeling a piece of chocolate cake, GO FOR IT! Just be reasonable with your serving size and everything will be A-okay. The last thing you need is a full on break down session because you just want to indulge a bit (IT HAPPENS).
- Carbonated drinks and sodas- I’m not a soda drinker at all, but I do love my Kombucha’s and La Croixs. However when you’re on your period and already bloated and gassy (isn’t it lovely?!) carbonated drinks will only make that worse. Try sticking to water, teas and other non-sugary drinks.
- Processed foods
- Highly salted foods- Salt can cause unnecessary water retention which is the absolute last thing you want when on your period. Like I said above, your body is already retaining water because of the excess fluid in your uterus. Try and avoid salty foods especially if you’re feeling extra bloated.
- Greasy/oily foods- An excess of oily foods in your system can cause inflammation, which is what you want to avoid at a time when your body is already inflamed. It’s also been known to increase pain which is, again, the last thing you want during the most miserable time of the month.
- Caffeine- This is not something I do (I need my morning coffee), but I’ve done a lot of research around this and caffeine intake has been shown to increase estrogen levels which can lead to worse PMS symptoms.
I hope you enjoyed today’s post! Don’t forget to share your tips down below. See you soon! xx