Happy Day 10!! We’re getting there…just a few more days until my absolute favorite day of the year. Today’s post is my annual Christmas Tag, one of my favorite posts to do every year. So let’s jump right into it. Hope you have as much fun reading this as I did writing it. Enjoy and I’ll see you for Day 11!
What’s your favorite holiday movie? SO hard to choose just one, but a few of my favorites are Love, Actually, The Holiday, Home Alone and Christmas With The Kranks.
What’s your favorite Christmas color? Anything glittery, especially red and gold.
Do you like to stay in your PJs or dress up for Christmas? Ugly Christmas sweaters for opening presents and dressed up for the rest of the day.
Favorite Christmas smell? Anything Christmas tree or pine scented, especially candles!
Favorite Christmas treat? Literally anything with peppermint or candy canes.
What’s your favorite holiday drink? Christmas cookie martinis (recipe here) or the a Starbucks peppermint mocha.
Candy cane or gingerbread men? Candy canes!! Weirdly they’re my favorite candy.
What’s your favorite Christmas song? I don’t know how I can pick just one. Mariah Carey, Michael Buble, Pentatonix, Kelly Clarkson, Straight No Chaser- my favorites during the holidays.
Have you ever made a snowman? No! And fun fact, I’ve only ever seen snow once.
What is at the top of your list this Christmas? Probably the Carolina Herrera Good Girl or 212 Rose Gold perfume.
What is the best present you’ve ever received? A plane ticket home to see my family ❤
When do you start getting excited about Christmas? December 26th? Just kidding- but pretty early. I’d say around October.
Do you use advent calendars? Yes! Chocolate ones every year and I love making them for my friends and family as well.
Recite one line from your favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. ‘Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion’s starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don’t see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it’s not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it’s always there – fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge – they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually is all around.” -Hugh Grant in Love, Actually
Share a funny Christmas memory. We went to church on Christmas morning one year but it was so crowded and so hot (we had to sit outside in the Singapore heat) so we left and found a Krispy Kreme instead.
Pictures with Santa…yay or nay? YAY!
Favorite winter nail polish? Red glitter.
Favorite winter lip product? MAC Frost Lipstick in “0”.
Favorite scarf? Kate Spade Manhattan Map Oblong Scarf.
Have you ever had a White Christmas? No, but a white Christmas in NYC is my absolute dream.
Do you start your Christmas shopping on Black Friday or wait until the last minute? Black Friday?? I start making my shopping list in September and start shopping soon after that. Anything to draw out the Christmas season!!
If you could be in any Christmas movie what would it be? Oooo… I would love to be Cameron Diaz in The Holiday (or any rom-com for that matter). But being in A Bad Moms Christmas would just be so much fun.
When does your family put up your Christmas tree and who decorates it? It’s a family affair! Even now that I’m in college, they FaceTime me in.
Peeking at gifts or be surprised? I hate ruining surprises and I hate when a surprise for me is ruined, so be surprised!!
Show us your ugly Christmas sweater if you have one.
Does your family have a special holiday recipe you like to help make? Yes, so many family holiday cookie recipes. But they’re within the family!
Are you a pro-present wrapper, or do you fail miserably? Up until this year I’d failed miserably and then suddenly this year I was blessed with semi-decent wrapping skills.
Have you ever gone Christmas caroling? No, but it’s up there on my Christmas bucket list.
What tops your tree? A star that we’ve used ever since I was a little girl.
Do you make New Year’s resolutions? Do you stick to them? Instead of resolutions, I make vows to myself. Things I promise I’ll do for myself and for no one else. It’s such a positive way for me to be reflective about the year that had passed and be optimistic about the year ahead, even if there are things I’m nervous, anxious or worried about.
Day 9 is going to be super super SWEET! We’re back with 12 Days and today is three of my absolute favorite festive treats. During the holidays, I love spending evenings in the kitchen whipping up something sweet and festive either to give away as a gift, to serve at a holiday party or dinner or simply just to have on hand for those after dinner sweets. Today I’m sharing three new recipes that I’ve found and modified that have quickly become some of the most delicious things I’ve made during the holidays. So read on, enjoy and hope you have the sweetest of days (okay, I’ll stop with the puns now).
Santa’s Trash Cookies
♣ 1/2 cup white sugar
♣ 1/2 cup brown sugar
♣ 3/4 cup baking margarine (or butter)
♣ 1 egg
♣ 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla or almond extract
♣ 2 cups all-purpose flour
♣ 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
♣ 3/4 cup crushed potato chips
♣ 1/2 cup crushed Pocky
♣ 1/2 cup chopped colorful chocolates (like M&Ms)
♣ 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1. Preheat oven to 360º and line your baking sheets. Cream the sugar and margarine together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla/almond and continue to beat on medium for 1 minute.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and continue to mix until smooth and fully incorporated.
3. Add the potato chips, Pocky, chocolate pieces and butterscotch chips and fold into the dough.
4. Roll into small balls (will expand) and place on a lined baking sheet.
5. Bake for 8-9 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes before eating.
Christmas Cookie Martini
Inspired by: Delish
Ingredients: For 2 servings
♣ 1/2 cup Baileys
♣ 1/4 cup Amaretto or other almond liquor
♣ 1/4 Vodka
♣ 1/3 cup milk
♣ Splash of whipping cream
1. Run two martini glasses under water and stick in freezer to frost.
2. Fill a cocktail shaker with a glass-full of ice. Add all the ingredients and shake vigorously for 2 minutes (cream should make it a bit frothy).
3. Pour into frosted glasses and garnish with a spiced holiday cookie (recipe below). Serve immediately to make some people very happy.
Spiced Holiday Cookies
♣ 3/4 cup baking margarine (or butter); softened
♣ 3/4 cup brown/dark sugar
♣ 3/4 cup molasses or dark agave
♣ 1 egg
♣ 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
♣ 3 cups all-purpose flour
♣ 1 teaspoon baking soda or baking powder
♣ 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
♣ 1 teaspoons ground nutmeg
♣ 1 teaspoons all-spice
♣ 1/2 teaspoons clove
1. Preheat oven to 360º and line your baking sheets. Cream the sugar and margarine together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and molasses and continue to beat on medium for 1 minute.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, all-spice and clove into the bowl and continue to mix until smooth and fully incorporated.
4. Form into large flattened circle and wrap in cling film. Leave to chill for up to 3 hours (between 2-3 hours will work).
5. Once firm, roll out until 1/4 inch in thickness. Use festive cookie cutters to cut into shapes and place on a lined baking tray.
6. Bake for 9 minutes and leave to cool on cooling rack before serving.